Resources for Healthy Living:
- Salisbury MD -- MAC Inc. Richard Henson Wellness Center at The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Building - Excercise and Fitness Classes are every month designed for the 50+ adult. Classes include Circuit Training, Chair Yoga, Tai Chi for Better Balance, Stepping On, Foam Rolling, Stretching and Personal Training. For more info click here: MAC Website or call 410-742-0505
- Georgetown and Lower DE -- CHEER Centers In Georgetown, during the day, members can enjoy a variety of activities including exercise programs, Tai Chi, Yoga, Zumba, Wii™ games, Mah Jong, support groups, craft classes, health seminars, concerts, games, educational and cultural trips, bingo, and much, much more. Activities vary at Centers. See calendar for schedule of events and activities. Annual Membership is a low fee. For more info: Cheer Center Website
- Pure Family Fitness - Salisbury, MD This amazing gym and fitness center has programs specifically designed for folks age 50 and up, Call or visit their website to find out more. Pure Family Fitness Website
- Salisbury MD -- Institute for Retired Persons at Salisbury University -- Designed for adults aged 50 and above, the IRP offers programs to enlighten, educate and offer better understanding of our world. The IRP meets at SU'S Guerrieri University Center at 2 p.m. Tuesdays during the University's spring and fall semesters. Click for SU Site
- Internet -- TED Talks Watch fascinating presentations on everything from staying younger, new medical technology to exploring our vast oceans and motivating employees in a small company. Keep Your Mind Sharp! www.ted.com
- Book -- "Younger Next Year" This was recommended by a friend of mine. He admittedly said "It is a bit corny at times but I found it a good primer about looking ahead to our “Golden Years” with a prescription for keeping them Golden" That sounded like a great read to me -- and it really is. Click for the Book
- Happy Timers Program - Wicomico Parks and Rec do wonderful programs for ages 50 years or older. From Chess Tournaments, to line dancing, exercise, bridge and parties. Dues are around $60/year. Can't beat that. Quite a few clients give this program the thumbs up! Click here more info.
- Osher Lifelong Learning Insitute (Delaware) - Osher Lifelong Learning Insitute is an academic cooperative for adults 50 and over to enjoy classes, teach, exchange ideas and travel together. See Membership Benefits Here
- Volunteer Delaware 50 and over - The mission of Volunteer Delaware 50+ is to engage persons 50 and older in volunteer service to meet critical community needs and to provide a high quality experience that will enrich the lives of volunteers. Volunteer Delaware 50+ website
Reading and Resources
- The Healthy Geezer -- Many articles of specific interest to those 60 and up. Everything from bursitis to heart surgery to body piercing. Written by an authentic geezer himself, Fred Cicetti. Healthy Geezer Website or look for his articles in the Cape Gazette here: Healthy Geezer Articles
- JP Morgan Guide to Retirement - From JP Morgan Asset Management, this guidebook is full of slides and graphs on various retirement topics from investing to healthcare. View the Guide Here
Local Health Fairs
- Nanticoke Health Fair -- Each March Nanticoke is pleased to host this community health event for all ages. Health education, health professionals, screenings, healthy living demonstrations, and many activities for the whole family will be available throughout the day. For more information, call 302-536-5388.
- Worcester County General Health Fair -- Each September this free public event is provided to the community to connect you with local health professionals of mental, physical, and spiritual health professions.
- PRMC Health Fest -- Each March Peninsula Regional Health System and the Wicomico County Board of Education invite everyone on the Delmarva Peninsula to join them for HealthFest. Over 35 free health screenings, including skin cancer screenings aboard the PRMC Wagner Wellness Van, will be available the day of the event and without pre-registration. The health screenings, performed by Peninsula Regional Medical Center (PRMC) healthcare specialists and other area healthcare providers, will be available to anyone looking to find out how healthy they actually are, and to learn what they can do to lead an even healthier and more productive lifestyle.
- Ocean City Community Health Fair -- Each May AARP put on this health fair with free health screenings – carotid, lipid profile, respiratory, bone density, skin cancer, hearing & much more! For more information contact Melvin Friedman: 410-524-1177, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Beebe Health Screenings and Health Fairs -- Beebe Healthcare is continuously providing free health screenings and health fairs to the community. Visit https://www.beebehealthcare.org/calendar to sign up and learn more.